How do I sell my rare items?

Hello everyone!

I am new at this fórum (and actually been quite away from any gaming forum for years). I have been building a collection of Genesis/Mega Drive, Sega CD and 32X games since back in the 90s and recently I started thinking about selling some of my stuff. Since I have been away from the game buying/selling world, I was wondering if you guys could update me on this matter. Is Ebay still the best platform for that? Is there is any other option? As for extremely rare items (I have a couple of items that fit this category), how can I learn to properly set a selling price?

Thanks in advance for anyone that could give me some insight!

Welcome.

First of all, it's a pitty that you want to sold your collection, in other side maybe you have any game that I want xDDD

For me, eBay is not the best place to know the current price of a game, mainly due to speculation. If I want to know the currently "approximately" prices, check sites like PriceCharting | Price Guides for Games, Cards & Comics or Retro Console Hardware Price Guide - RetroGaming with Racketboy

In my case, I've european GG and MD games and some web platforms doesn't has a pricing evolution of this versions and store data from american games.

If I see a current price in eBay, I know whether its price is inflated or not because I have been monitoring "almost" constantly for several years now.

So, this is my answer, not is the best. Maybe someone here can help you better than me.

Welcome.

First of all, it's a pitty that you want to sold your collection, in other side maybe you have any game that I want xDDD

For me, eBay is not the best place to know the current price of a game, mainly due to speculation. If I want to know the currently "approximately" prices, check sites like PriceCharting | Price Guides for Games, Cards & Comics or Retro Console Hardware Price Guide - RetroGaming with Racketboy

In my case, I've european GG and MD games and some web platforms doesn't has a pricing evolution of this versions and store data from american games.

If I see a current price in eBay, I know whether its price is inflated or not because I have been monitoring "almost" constantly for several years now.

So, this is my answer, not is the best. Maybe someone here can help you better than me.

Hola KeiDash,

Thanks for the welcome and thank you so very much for sharing such knowledge! That is pretty helpful indeed.

Even though I live in Brazil, 99% of my games are Americans (our locally manufactured MegaDrive by TecToy was fully compatible with NTSC/North American games) which makes it quite easier to use both sites you suggested! xDD

I will deepen my price research using those sites and then move on to Ebay. One quick question though: Since I have no selling history/background on that platform (and I know how relevant it is for buyers everywhere), would you agree that it is better to start selling the “cheaper” games first, so I can build some reputation I would say, before putting on the main and most valuable items? Or would you recommend a different strategy approach?

Thanks again for your helpful insights! ;)

Well, this question maybe was divided in various responses.

1. More easy in lots. Depend of the list of cheaper games, it's possible selling all in a big lot. Think about it. In first instance I'll try to have approximately a total price (real price) of all my games, reduce around 5% (and say it on the selling) and try to sell it around 1 or 2 months. eBay won a % of your selling but maybe it's a good possibility.

2. Easy/cheaper games it's complicated to sold it individually. It's habitual that "to many users" have it

3. You know that rare games will be sold very fast. The problem will be the medium and lower games.

So, knowing this issue, what I will do? After try to sold as a lot, if this not works, I reduce the total price a little, always if you saw that users had interested on lot.

If this not works it's time to try on other place like forums, this has some Advantages and disadvantages like secured selling and taxes, but is another way to do it.

Another option will be, sell all rare games In the same auction. You won a higher prices than the real price. This will compensate for the possible loss of money from games that are more difficult to sell.

In case that this doesn't work, exists to more options, sell all in one eBay post but individually or wait to sell your games.

Wait for what? It's evident that collectors will be the first to buy your rare games, but the rest of games...it's other case.

I know it may sound strange, but, if you know the economy situation of the "possible destination country" you will have more possibilities to sell all as one lot. If the economy it's growing in positive to ordinary people, there are more open to buy this kind of lots.

So you should to planning various scenarios, it's the best way (I think)

Back